Our outreach counselor pushed really hard to get a data projector installed in the lunch room so we could play slideshows for the kids during lunch. A couple months ago she got her wish.
Now, what to do with it? We started with posting the daily announcements (which are read 2nd period by the teachers) and some positive posters, all on powerpoint slides. Then, we started getting creative.
- We took pictures at club meetings, at lunch and in the hallway and started posting them.
- As Thanksgiving approached we found turkey humor and threw that in (remember, I am in a middle school!).
- Before winter break, we asked teachers to send us a picture of their holiday cards and we posted those with messages from the teachers.
- We had an ugly sweater contest and posted pictures of every teacher and his/her outfit (kids really like seeing that)!
- We also put in posters about being kind to others. One favorite says, "If you can't say something nice, be quiet!" The kids love that one...you can tell because we hear them saying it to their friends! :)
- On the last day before break we posted a video I created of building staff dancing. It was a video made with the "Elf Yourself" app. The students loved it!
We have had staff from other buildings comment on how much they like what we are doing with the data projector at lunch. One counselor even said, "Your lunch shifts are so much quieter than ours!"
We love our new tool and the kids really do pay attention to it. It gives us an opportunity to reinforce our guidance curriculum and stress the positive.
As I've been on break, I have been looking at all the amazing videos available on youtube. WOW! There are so many possibilities for our lunch time!!! The first day back I would like to show Kid President's New Year video. I think it fits right in with a new year, a new semester, and a clean slate.
What are your thoughts?