Saturday, January 11, 2014

Why I Love My Job

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11566769/?claim=3zthe2cj3sc">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>
Today I greeted one of the girls I have been working with in the hallway.  I have not seen her since before winter break.  She had a little gift for me that she made over the break.  She learned to sew and she made me a beautiful coaster!  Hand stitched.  Double sided.  I always have a water bottle with me at school and need a coaster to collect the condensation.  What a perfect gift!

The relationships that we build as school counselors are the reason I love my job.!  It isn't that I want gifts, but heartfelt gifts like these are feedback to me.  Feedback that I AM connecting with the student and am making a difference.

Sometimes we don't get that feedback.  We wonder if we are making an impact.  We keep trying, but we may never know.

Feedback can come in all shapes and sizes.  These are some examples of feedback I have gotten:

  • Kids asking to eat lunch with me
  • Emails and phone calls from parents
  • Hugs
  • Shout outs like, "Mrs. Hughes!  I passed my first Algebra test EVER!!!"
  • Notes from students telling me I really understand
  • Smiles
  • Thank yous from administrators, staff, and parents
  • "I feel wanted when I'm in your office."
  • "I could spend all day in your office."
  • Kids who stay after school with me to decorate my office
Not all feedback is positive.  Sometimes I can't make the change that students/parents think I can.  Sometimes I have to say, "We don't make schedule changes because you want a different teacher."  Even in those cases, where the student/parent/staff member does not feel better, I think he/she is learning a lesson about life.

When I taught Spanish, I didn't think of it as teaching a specific subject.  In all reality, I taught kids.  While the subject matter was Spanish, I wanted them to walk away having learned lessons about life.  

As a school counselor, I still feel the educator inside me.  My job is to teach others how to handle what life deals them so that they can grow up to be independent, successful adults.

I LOVE my job!  :)

How about you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment