Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Celebrate Diversity

I am  blessed to work in a school that is not one color.

In my school we have students and staff of all different shades.

This is not how I grew up.  I grew up in rural Missouri and everyone in my graduating class had the same skin color...unless of course he/she spent too much time in the sun in the summertime.  Then, he/she may be the color of a lobster or a dark bronze color.  The boys who worked on the farm became very dark in the summer for they worked long, hot hours.  But, you know what I mean.  My hometown really lacked (and still lacks) diversity.

I now work in a college town, which brings in people from all over the world.  To me, it is so exciting to learn about other people, their traditions, and where they come from!

Tonight my school's MAC Scholars hosted its 3rd annual Black History Month Program.  It was scripted and performed by our middle school students.  Because of the recent death of Nelson Mandela, it was a tribute to Nelson Mandela and his wife.

All I can say is WOW!  Those kids did an outstanding job!  They taught us some history about the Mandelas and interspersed the history with poetry and song.  I brought my 13 year old daughter to the program and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think what I loved the most about the evening was how diverse a group of performers we had!  While it might have been entitled Black History Month Program, we had all colors of the rainbow presenting the program.  It was so uplifting and just made you feel good!

I know sometimes race becomes an issue, but if you could have only seen these middle schoolers delivering this powerful message tonight, you would have felt hopeful for the children of tomorrow.  :)

Way to go Lange Leopards!


No comments:

Post a Comment